Tuesday, October 6, 2009

12 Days Post Op

So today is the day! Fingers crossed the surgeon takes out the dreaded drain at my appointment! Should be fine because I've had less than 30ccs in the sucker for at least 6 days now and apparently all you have to have is 2 days in a row with 30 ccs or less.

Yesterday I walked Rissa and David three blocks towards her school and then David sent me home. I might have walked another small block on the way but he doesn't have to know that. I swear that I'm not being stupid, I mean I am pretty sure that a snail could outpace me at this point, but I need to move, even as slowly as I am. And yes, I will be discussing this with the surgeon so that I don't do more damage. And this morning, I quelled my urge to walk all the way to the marina, I just walked to King Street and back.

Even though it is more than likely that I will be given the okay to shower today I couldn't stand it any longer and yesterday afternoon I had my hair washed properly at my salon. Having Rebecca scrub my scalp was better than sex, I swear by all that is holy. Plus I got a good trim which makes me feel a little bit more human. This field trip allowed me the opportunity to do a couple of things. I drove to the salon so that I'd be home in time to meet Rissa after school and I had to gently maneuver myself in and out of the hair-washing chair. Driving was a bit interesting, but I'm glad that I figured out the kinks so that when I head to Toronto today I'll know what not to do. Turning corners too fast puts stress on the tummy. Changing the radio station puts stress on the tummy. Reaching for the rear-view mirror puts stress on the tummy.

Posture by the end of the day yesterday wasn't terrible. This operation may actually help with my habit of leading from my hips - I have always had a tendency to arch my back a little too much and that is simply an impossibility at present. I went grocery shopping with David while Rissa was at dance last night. I was fine pushing the cart with the breads, crackers and other light items in it, but when we added the soy milk and juices? I had to relinquish my helm. I was also permitted to lift the bag that held the bread. Do you know how difficult it is NOT to pick stuff up? It's making me crazy. I can't unload the bottom rack of the dishwasher because it's too much bending. I can't put things in the cereal cupboard. I had to ask David to set the grocery bags up on the kitchen island for me so that I could at least put cans into the pantry. The things that are presently on the floor in my house have to stay on the floor. I could sweep, but then I wouldn't be able to use the dust pan to pick it up. So my OCD about tidying is in hyperdrive. Reclining on a chaise longue pointing at my family and ordering them around is not my idea of a good time. David mentioned that we'll need to do our fall yard work pretty soon, the temperature's already dropping. I'm not going to be up for it and that makes me feel guilty, although I'm sure that Rissa will love the opportunity to help in the garden cut down all the perennials for me.

Yesterday, by day's end, I was feeling markedly closer to my old self. Which is fantastic, but I fully recognize that I still shouldn't overdo it or I may ruin what progress I've made. We watched Studio 60 on the couch after Rissa went to bed and Colby, my 16.5 lb cat, gently climbed upon me and we got to have our first post op snuggle. I have never in my life had a cat who can make me so happy. When he plants himself on me and butts at my chin with his head and purrs and does the kneading with his lynx-like paws, honestly? I'm ecstatic. Such a little thing, but it's the best way ever to end a day (well that and really mind-blowing sex, but that's not going to be cleared for take off for at least another couple of wees) and for the past 11 days I haven't had that snuggling. He wanted another snuggle at 4:00 am which wasn't quite as thrilling. I woke in a bit of discomfort because I had slid down the pillows a bit and was a little too flat on my back and had an extra 16.5 lbs on me. Took some more Advil, propped myself up higher once more upon my wedge pillow and managed to get another 3 hours of sleep.

It takes approx. 1 hour and 25 minutes to get to the surgeon's office. I confirmed the appointment time and that I'm to meet at her office and not the surgical facility. David has reminded me 4 times over the past 15 hours that I allow myself lots of time to get there. So that means I should be leaving two hours beforehand, plus a little extra time for my speed of sloth walking. Which means I should be leaving pretty much... now.

Cheers!
Heather

1 comment:

  1. After your tummy tuck surgery, you may probably weigh 4 to 10 pounds less, and this is due to the removal of excess skin and a bit of the fat layer attached to the excess skin.

    Tummy Tuck in Manila

    ReplyDelete