Saturday, September 26, 2009

49 Hours Post Op

I managed to get some good sleep last night. My husband woke me up after 4 hours to give me some more codeine and then by morning I seemed to be okay with just the extra strength Advil. I haven't had anything since 5:30 this morning which is good so far. (Touch wood.)

A little weirdness (and why wouldn't there be with me?) My uvula - yes that little dangly thing at the back of your throat - is a bit swollen and seems to be resting on the back of my tongue, making me feel like I've got something stuck back there which results in my making very unattractive horking noises. I've been doing some reading and apparently, after anaesthesia, this is not completely uncommon. Recommendations include gargling with salt water which I will try. The slight complication is that it seems to get worse when I'm up and walking round because I'm leaning forward and the uvula kind of bounces around my tongue. I guess that my throat and uvula got a little bit irritated when they took the breathing tube out. It's not terrible, it's just irritating and I'm so thankful that I managed to avoid all the other complications from anaesthesia like the puking and nausea etc. So I'll deal with the more-dangly-than-usual uvula for the time being and if in a few days it's still bugging me I'll probably head to the fast track at the ER.

My mobility this morning seems to be better, although up and down the stairs is quite the challenge. The top portion of my stomach (under my ribs) is itchy with the binder. I can feel my incision a bit more, but that's probably due to the fact that I should be having some medication. Time for some extra strength Advil I think.

And now welcome to the too much information portion of the blog: As to... pooping - it's official - I am constipated. I've been taking stool softeners and prune juice to no avail yet. But it has only been two days. I'm going to keep up with the regime and see how it goes. I'm still a little loopy and although I've only been awake for 4 hours or so, I could probably be convinced to nap. Lunch time now - I'm taking extra multi-vitamins + vitamin C three times a day plus Bromelain pills and Arnica. I don't know if they're helpful or not, but I figure if I just keep throwing everything I can at this, the better it'll be in the long run. Here's the new mantra: extra vitamins help me heal faster!

Cheers!
Heather

2 comments:

  1. I love you!

    you're doing great!

    and you're making me die laughing here! I totally had the same thing with my uvula after my surgery, it lasted about 3 or 4 days, hacking and gurgling and coughing. really gross, but it distracts you from other things, so that's cool. Don't be a hero, take the drugs. even if you don't feel like you need them... take the drugs. it takes far too long for them to catch up to the pain if you wait till you hurt.
    love to you- need anything?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tuck surgery is conferred to improve the abdomen area dint of removing loose, excess skin &fat and afterward tightening muscles in the abdominal wall.

    Tummy Tuck Philippines

    ReplyDelete