Tuesday, September 22, 2009

T-2 Days to Tummy Tuck

Leading up to surgery, I have spent MUCH time online. The site that I have found most helpful is Tuck that Tummy. This site has many pages with checklists, first hand accounts and specific guidelines for recovery. On the General Information page there is a section for Tummy Tuck Patient journals that puts a lot of things into perspective. I've tried to look at the community forums, but they are either inactive (a lot of the journals posted are from 2003) or I can't access them as I have a Canadian IP address.

On top of my regular vitamin regimen I'm taking extra multi vitamins, extra zinc and extra vitamin C to boost my immune system. A local naturopath suggested it and frankly I'm going to try everything within my power to help ease my recovery time. I am NOT taking extra Vitamin E pills as the surgeon specifically said to avoid Vitamin E as it can have the effect of inhibiting clot formation. Nor have I been taking any sort of aspirin or ibuprofen derivative for the past two weeks as these can cause excessive bleeding.

Yesterday I went shopping at Zellers for supplies. I bought a bargain pack of 4 men's undershirts and 7 pairs of granny panties. The undershirts will apparently make wearing the post-op compression garment slightly more comfortable if you wear them under the girdle, plus they're bargain undershirts and I won't care if they get post-op guck all over them. Also, several people have recommended wearing two pairs of the panties at a time so that the drains can be tucked in between the panties and held in place.

I have been getting contradictory information about water intake after the surgery. My surgeon suggested to limit water intake at one of my consults, but many other surgeons have suggested to maintain the regular 8 glasses a day to aid in digestion and keeping you regular post surgery. As bloating can also be one of the complications after surgery I was told to avoid foods that will cause gas and such as: beans, broccoli, cabbage, Brussel sprouts, cauliflower, dairy products, carbonated drinks, wheat and fried foods. Apparently though, I'm not going to really feel like eating much the first couple of days, so it's a matter of finding things that will give me vitamins and protein without making me puke. Several people online have suggested doing protein shakes for the first day at least. I'm planning on making a huge pot of chicken vegetable soup (low-sodium as I'm supposed to limit salt intake to help with water retention as well) today so that I can at least get some healthy liquids into me. My husband is taking care of me for the first four days so he will be in charge of feeding me and then my Mom is coming next week to baby me. My husband and daughter are pretty psyched that Mom is coming as she is one of the best cooks we know personally.

I am sending David with a list of questions for the surgical staff. I'm worried that pre-op I'll be too freaked out to remember to ask anything and post-op I'll be too stoned from the anesthesia to remember any of the answers if I do manage to ask questions. By giving David the list of questions this will allow us to be on the same page as to my recovery and I won't forget to ask important things like:

1. How much water should I be drinking after surgery?
2. How often will I have to take pain medication?
3. How much walking is too much walking? (Already I'm planning on walking once an hour for a few minutes - David is planning on hog-tying me to the bed to ensure that I don't overdo it.)
4. How long before I should be able to stand up straight and what can I do to help lessen this time without stretching my scar all out of whack?
5. When can I do gentle yoga-type stretching? If I wanted to play the table-tilt game on the Wii Fit would this be too much?
6. By placing a pillow over my stomach area will my 16.5 lb cat be able to sit on me or is that forbidden?
7. How much fluid is too much fluid in my drains?
8. Can I eat protein bars like Lara Bars that have only fruit and nuts in them?

Next post will focus on pre-op nervousness and neuroses.

Cheers!
Heather

3 comments:

  1. you're going to do great!
    also, that idea of making a list to take with you... brilliant! I wish I'd thought of that when I went for my surgery a few years ago... my doc had me walking (similar surgery just, higher up the body!) within a few hours of surgery, and told me to at least stand up once an hour-if not at least walk to the bathroom- every hour... and CRANKED up my IV so I'd have to get up... jerk face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this tummy tuck tips! I'm planning to have my cosmetic surgery in manila ,I have had a harder and harder time losing the baby weight. This tips are super helpful for me.

    ReplyDelete